Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Either I'm Famous, or I Look Like Someone Who Is

Despite some (semi-justified) perceptions, people in this region of the world are immensely friendly and generous.  In general, there is always someone willing to help in some way.

The other day, I made the ten-minute walk to the local grocery store for a few things.  I can only buy so much, because the ten-minute walk back with forty-fifty pounds of frozen meat and bottles of water after the first quarter mile.  Waiting in line, an older man started talking, but I didn't realize it was directed at me because he was speaking Arabic.  When it occurred that he was looking at me, I replied "Sorry?" because it could have been that I just misunderstood his English.  "No Araby?" he asked.
"No, sorry, just English," I answered.
"Oh were are you from?"
"The United States."
"Oh yes. Where in United States?"
"Texas."
"I have brother who go to Dallas."

And so our conversation continued.  Then, as the checker was going through my items, the older Lebanese man offered to give me a ride.  Back home, we're taught that's kind of creepy, and not to take rides from strangers.  In local culture, however, it is only polite to make such an offer; and it is highly impolite to not accept (although it's also impolite to automatically accept).  So I told him that was not necessary, but thanked him for the offer.  I was hoping he would not press it, but he did: "No, is okay, so close. I take you."  So I hopped in his truck and we rode to my place.  I hoped out, thanked him, and that was that.  It's how things work here in this part of the world.

Here's something I can't explain:
Just a few weeks after I got here I was at one of the malls, just walking around.  A couple of strangers, Arabs if I remember right, asked to take a picture with me -- not of me, with me.  It's happened a few more times since then, including just the other day.  More interesting, the same happened at the Dubai Mall a couple weeks ago; a group of Indian guys wanted to take their picture with me (three of them, individually).
Some Saudis who recently asked to get a photo with me
I've yet to find an explanation, but I've come up with three possibilities: 1.) people think I'm famous, so they want to get a photo with me (but no one has asked for an autograph so far); 2.) I look like someone famous and so people think I am him (again, no one has asked for an autograph); or 3.) I'm considered fantastically handsome in this part of the world, and people want a record that they saw someone so good looking.
Granted, it's probably not the last or I may have been kicked out of the country (something that has happened, by the way).  But it's probably that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment