Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Getting a Driver's License (Part Two)

Driving School and the Signals and Engine Tests.


The path to a driver's license can be confusing. If there are clear directions about what one must do, they're hard to find. Take the concept of the "driving school." The name is misleading.  When an American hears "driving school" it conjures up an image of being taught how to drive over the course of several days or weeks, sitting at a desk and learning the tedious, detailed rules of the road.  While that exists at Qatari driving schools, the facilities also serve to administer tests and give driver's licenses to those who pass.

None are really operated by the government.  Granted, there are a few Qatari officials there, and usually a Traffic Department officer overseeing things.  The overwhelming number of people working at the schools are mostly Indians and a few other Arabs.  In part, it's practical; the overwhelming number of people undergoing instruction and evaluation at the schools are Indian.  For a non-Arabic, non-Hindi, non-Malayalam, non-any other Indian dialect speaker, it can make for some difficulty.

For one, the facilities tend to be laid out strangely, and nothing is marked.  My efforts were conducted at the Gulf Driving School at the southern edge of Doha nor far from the old airport in Al-Thumama.  My first trip there, I wandered around for a bit until I found the main offices far inside the compound.  There, I eventually registered for a Signals Test and was told to go buy a guide book in the main waiting area in another building.

For the Signals Test, I was told to get there early in the morning -- 6 AM -- when there would be fewer people there.  That's a positive and negative thing.  There may have been few people there taking tests, but there was also almost no one around to direct me where to go.  And without any signs that say "Signals Test Here," I just had to wander around to find someone to show me where to go.

So, the first piece of advice, don't be embarrassed to wander around like a rube and ask every total stranger "where do I need to go?"

I had gone over the signals book a couple times (for any American or European you will already know almost all the road signs used in Qatar; but go through it to find the handful that are different, or have another meaning), but was still a bit nervous about the test, mainly because I had little idea what to expect.
I arrived at 5:50 AM, eventually figured out where to go, and was number twenty-four in line.  Be prepared to wait.  They didn't begin calling anyone for the test until about 7:00.  Then, they call people about twelve at a time -- except they called number twenty-four in the third group; so the wait added up to about an hour and a half or so.

The test itself was actually pretty easy.  It's conducted on a touch-screen computer.  A road-sign shows up along with four possible answers.  The only disconcerting part was a statement, worded as a statement, with a question mark: "It is illegal to use a mobile phone while operating a motor vehicle?"  The two options were "Right" and "Wrong."  If it was a question as to whether it is illegal to do so, the answer is "Right."  But if they're asking if the action is illegal, the answer would be "Wrong."  I chose "Wrong" reasoning that they meant tat the action was bad, and it turned out I was right.  There was a second statement/question worded the same (that I can't remember now) that I answered similarly.  Five-ten minutes and I was done and was told "You pass. Wait outside."

I did just that, glad I had passed.  Then, a few minutes later, a gruff Qatari said, "You come now for engine test," and walked outside.
I was unaware of this part of the process, so I had no idea what to expect.
We walked over to a car with its hood up, and the guy pointed to components and asked, "What this?"
I could remember most things, or at least the American vernacular for them (which confused the guy), but couldn't see the cap for the brake fluid and told him, "I'm not sure what that is."
He then stated, almost angrily, "You fail. Do again."
I barely understood what was going on anyways, so I asked, "When can I do it again?"
He was walking back inside (I followed, of course), and he started saying, "You do drive test" or something that sounded like that to me.
I replied, "Yes, I need to take the driving test."
He didn't like that.  "No.  You take drive test?"
It sounded exactly the same, so I said, "Yes, I still need to take the driving test, so when can I do the engine test again?"
He was getting annoyed by then and, with great irony, asked "What you's problem? You not know English?" and then promptly walked off where I couldn't follow.

A hopefully helpful map to navigate the Gulf Driving School compound

So I asked someone else about re-taking the engine test.  All he said was "Oh yes, wait here" and pointed to some chairs nearby.  I've learned, do not just take a seat anywhere.  You have to pester people to get things done sometimes.  So I watched for the engine test guy.  Once I saw him go back outside to do more engine tests about forty minutes later, I followed.  When he was done with one guy, I handed him my papers.  He pointed to just three components that time (instead of ten the time before), and though annoyed, he signed my stuff and told me where to go to sign up for the driving test.


No comments:

Post a Comment