Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Exit Permits: Am I Sixteen Again?

For any Westerner over the age of eighteen, it’s taken for granted that once one reaches the age of majority he can pretty much go where he wants when he wants.  In a way, that’s not the case in Qatar for a foreign resident.  This is an aspect of residency that takes some getting used to, but it’s not as troublesome as it sounds.

Once one has received his Residency Permit and identification card, he can travel but must first ask permission from the government to leave the country.  I recently went to Dubai for a weekend vacation.  I arranged the trip a month ahead, so I knew exactly when I was leaving well in advance.  About two weeks out, I went to the College’s human resources department.  As with most everything, the request for and issuance of Exit Permits is managed by the employer.  The form was simple: name, ID number, destination, departure date, return date.  Two days before my departure, the permit was finalized and human resources gave me a copy of the verification.  When I took off, I carried the document with me but no one ever asked for it.  The information is tied to the passport, so they have all the records.

Additionally, some companies are able to provide a year-long exit permit.  Typically, one has to pay for the running permit (whereas, at least in my case, I do not have to pay when I make a single request).

In practice, none of it is not as sinister as it sounds (of course, I'm speaking from the perspective of a professional and a Westerner; ask an Indian or African laborer and you'll get a much different, and sometimes unfortunate story).  While there is room for problems, it’s minimal.  As long as the government receives twenty-four-hour’s notice, travel abroad is easy -- and in the Persian Gulf region pretty cheap.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi9BuzqGtcF0K4RLzBdykiPi174Y3JJOThujUq3KfwbeTy_TsSzW-wtpCtPd7HZXLE4L6187EqylvMNGhF-ftqiSYpA7sRhJru-XoyuU7pgWkwnKs7rWB35btlXaEtbG5BBcVzQe0Heq9M/s1600/airport_child.jpgSo make sure mommy and daddy know where you’re going and maybe they’ll even let you stay out past your curfew.

No comments:

Post a Comment