Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

The Residency Permit (Part Three)

Fingerprinting and Getting a Qatari ID.


After all the fun at the Medical Commission, the rest of the Residency process appears deathly boring. Fingerprints are collected by the Ministry of Interior's Criminal Evidences and Information Department.  Like the Medical Commission, the office is out on the edge of Doha, so a bit of a drive.  But the scene at CEID is much calmer (at least in my experience). There are far fewer people waiting to have their fingerprints taken than to get poked with needles.

http://gulfnews.com/polopoly_fs/1.187011!/image/3006410687._gen/derivatives/box_475/3006410687.For my part, I showed an attendant my paperwork (given to me by my employer), and by virtue of my position was shown to the VIP line.  I felt special, but in reality it only cut about two minutes out of a five-minute-long stay.  One of the men who would take scans of my fingers told me I needed to take a number at the back.  I did -- number 47.  Two seconds later, "number forty-seven please." (As a note, on the other side, I would have had to wait behind two other guys until it was my turn.) The printing itself lasted about four or five minutes.  Multiple scans on each finger, a couple of my whole hand, and that was it.

For most people, once the fingerprinting is complete, it takes about three days for the information to be entered in the national system and confirmed.

As with basically everything discussed on this site so far, everything goes through the employer, and receiving the ID is no different.  Once everything has been verified, the employer will briefly take up the passport and send it to the Ministry of Interior.  Along with the Qatar ID, a copy of the Residency Permit is affixed to the passport, pasted on one of the blank pages.  Within a couple days, new residents receive their passport and new state identification, and a huge hurdle is passed.

As simple as the whole process sounds, be prepared to experience frustration.  Like anywhere, nothing goes perfectly smoothly here.  Expect that something will get messed up, go wrong, or get delayed.  But at some point, you will get it all done...it's just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment