Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

So You're Moving to Qatar... (Part Two)

Police Security Clearances and Authentications.


The first "So You're Moving to Qatar..." post looked at the most basic foundational elements.  This second part will survey some of the more complex aspects of the relocation process.

Be diligent and move fast.  Be ready to get any necessary documents to the employer quickly.  Employers generally issue the visa necessary to enter the country.

In my case, all I had to do was scan my passport and e-mail a copy to human resources.  Since I work in academics, I also had to send scans of my diplomas.
For weeks, I worried that I neglected something.  I found, however, that the visa process was quite simple.  The United States and Qatar currently enjoy good relations, so the process for Americans is pretty basic.

One complex – or, more tedious and annoying – thing any expat to Qatar needs to do is get any important or relevant documents authenticated.  The process is laid out on the Qatari embassy’s website at http://qatar.usembassy.gov/document_authentications.html.  Read through the steps carefully, and be vigilant of all the minor details.  As soon as employment is imminent, get to work on it.

A Police Clearance Certificate is a must.  The document will (hopefully) show a lack of criminal activity.  It can be done (in the United States) at any local police station or by the Federal Bureau of Investigations.  An explanation of the process can be found at http://qatar.usembassy.gov/police-clearances.html.  Be sure to read it well (I did not).
For me, the procedure goes local police department, Texas Secretary of State’s office in Austin, the Federal State Department, the Qatari consulate in Houston.
In my experience, my local Waxahachie Police Department did not know what it was I requested.  Fortunately, after asking around of several department officials, a detective said he could conduct the necessary background check and generate the necessary form.  The certificate was done in a day, but I failed to have it notarized.  I had already sent it off to Austin, so I had to get a new one and start over.  A couple days and about $30 wasted – that’s life.  The second clearance certificate went out with a notary stamp.

The UPS office in Austin runs an authentication service for a fee.  I sent my documents directly to them with a request form downloaded from the Texas Secretary of State’s website, they carried them over, the certificate was authenticated, and shipped back to me the same day.  From what I have gathered many states have similar processes.  So that part was done in less than a week.
Next was the State Department.  The process there is explained at http://www.state.gov/authentications/c60211.htm.  The notarized certificate and the state document of authentication went along with a request form and a check for the service to an office n Dulles, Virginia.  State Department authentication took about a week or so.

Last, everything went to the Qatari consulate in Houston.  The details for the legalization service can be found at http://www.qatarembassy.net/page/legalization-of-legal-and-commercial-documents.  All the documents (the certificate and the state and federal authentications) have to be sent with three copies of each as well as a money order from your bank.  Be sure it goes to the right place.  Initially, I sent everything to the embassy in Washington only to get the documents back a week later.  Since I was in Texas, I had to send my request to the consulate in Houston.  Be prepared, this part will take a while.  In my case, the documents did not return to me for over a month.  I got concerned that they were lost because it was taking so long.  When I called, they assured me that the request had arrived and that I would “receive it when done.”

One major consolation was that I did not have to take the Police Clearance Certificate with me when I left for Qatar.  My family back home had to mail them here about a month after I arrived (two months after I got the initial clearance form from the police).  So, if it takes a while do not fret.

The next post will examine a few more documents you may need, and what you won't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment