Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

So You're Moving to Qatar... (Part Three)

Diplomas and Other Necessary Documents (and What Isn't Necessary).


The last post in "So You're Moving to Qatar..." took a glance at the super-fun authentications process of documents you may need in relocating.

The position also required that the physical diplomas (not copies) be authenticated the same as the police certificate.  The process for the diplomas was essentially the same with two exceptions.

Before they could go to the Texas Secretary of State, the universities had to notarize them.  In my case, I mailed one to the registrar at Texas A&M University in College Station.  A&M has an agreement with UPS that allows them to forward notarized documents directly.  So after the A&M registrar made the necessary attestations and stamps, it went to the UPS office in Austin.  I lived in the Dallas area, so I simply drove up to Denton to have the registrar certify my diploma from University of North Texas, and then mailed it to the Austin UPS store.  Of course, before sending anything contact whoever will authenticate your documents to make sure you include the necessary request forms.

The other difference for diplomas was the need for a document from each university stating that I had not done any coursework online.  In recent years, many countries have decided they will not accept online credits as sufficient for a degree.  For that, simply ask the registrar to prepare a note that specifically states that all your work was done in the classroom.

Depending on your job, whether you will be moving to Qatar with your family, etc. there may be other necessary documents and authentications.  Again, ask the employer and do not over think things.

I was convinced that there had to be something else beside my passport, police clearance, and diplomas, so I searched online for anyone who could tell me what else I surely needed before I departed for Doha.  Some said a medical clearance, a blood-type report, and more.  Turned out none of that was necessary.  To put it simply, I arrived with a copy of the visa my employer gave me, my passport, and all my things, and that was it.  All the anguish I experience in the weeks before flying out were for nothing.

Get the things your employer tells you to and take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment