Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Somebody Get Me a Doctor

Medical Care and Health Insurance


Moving overseas inevitably raises the question "what if I get sick...what will I do?"  In Qatar, there is no need to worry.

Due to its fantastic wealth and small population, the Qatari Government can afford to establish a universal health care system for citizens and residents alike without forcing the membership of the entire populace.  The state-run system operates under the Hamad Medical Corporation.  Anyone with a Qatari identification card is able to obtain a state insurance plan.  As with almost everything, this is accomplished through one's employer.

While I have yet to complete the paperwork for the state insurance (it's based on which district one lives in, and the College is changing my residence within the next few weeks), as far as I understand the state-run program operates decently well.

At the same time, many organizations in Qatar offer their own private insurance coverage.  In that case, one can go to any of the many well-respected private clinics around Doha.  The private practitioners tend to be of a higher quality.

Recently, I became ill enough that I decided it was time to visit a doctor, and the visit went very well.  There is a private clinic, the American Hospital, across the street from the College, so between classes I walked over to make an appointment.  I was told there was no need to set a future time, that if I would wait about an hour I could see a doctor that day.  I filled out the paperwork, but didn't really want to wait around, so I said I would come back.  When I returned it took only about ten minutes before I a nurse checked my temperature and blood pressure, and asked me a few general questions.  About five minutes after that, I met with the doctor.  He was friendly and expedient.  After a short examination, he wrote up a prescription I filled there at the clinic.  As expected, the cost was higher than if I had private insurance or had gone to a state facility, but only about $30 for the visit and about $15 for the medicine.  Not bad.

American Hospital DohaAdditionally, another major question when I left the United States for Qatar concerned health insurance back home.  With the Affordable Care Act requiring making coverage mandatory by virtue of American citizenship, I was originally concerned that I would have to maintain a plan back in Texas even though I couldn't use it.  Thankfully, I found the answer.  According to HealthCare.gov, American citizens residing in a foreign country without insurance coverage do not have to pay any of the penalties someone back home may be subject to.  That was $500 a month for a service I couldn't use that I could save.  The joy.

So, health care in Qatar is no cause for concern.  Oh and no need to call up the ambulance, I'm not deep in shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment